Friday, July 23, 2010

Yeah, I earned it.


Today was a momentous occasion. I, Haley Richardson, received my first paycheck. It had MY NAME on it. Isn't that fantastic? I mean it's not like it was a ton of money but, hey, now I am 50 bucks richer. And I earned it. Fair and square. I was given an envelope that even had the name of the people I was working for on it. Totally legit.

This week for three hours every day (5 days) I went and helped out with this summer arts program for kid who were 7-11 as the teachers assistant (TA). Now that may not seem very hard, I mean I sure didn't think it did last Sunday, but let me tell you. In the mornings it was nonstop energy and squirming. Oh, and I did mention there was twenty-four of them right? Twenty-four. Yeah. Have ya ever heard twenty-four kids all talk at once? It's like a swarm of bees. Vicious bees that went to harm you, and are not taking prisoners. But wait, there's more, at around ten thirty they are all hungry and "I have to go to the bathroom!!" and then they are just cranky.

Having said all of that the kids really are adorable. It was such a blessing just to be around them and hear what was on their minds. This one little girl, Jessica, she was the smallest of the bunch and, though I love them all, she was my favorite. There was just something about her that was adorable. Just think cute. as. a. button. I mean really just precious. But every day there would be something that would bother her, and not in a way that made her throw a fit, it just simply baffled and upset her. One day it was because someone else had the same cat name as her, and one day someone took her seat. I think you get the idea, just "little things". The thing is, thinking about her little things made me remember when I used to think things, like someone taking my seat, were a "big deal" and now I just find somewhere else to sit. Everything always seems like a big deal at the time especially when you're little. And I think that God used Jessica to show me that one day, when I'm older, I will think about me as I am now and refer to myself as little and think that the things that bother and worry me now (college, cough cough) will not seem like such an enormous deal and I will realize how stupid I was to worry. I think that God is putting things into perspective for me. Isn't He just great and fantastic? I mean really. Wow.

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1Peter 5: 7

Today was their showcase for their parents and they were awesome. They learned four songs from CATs in five days and they had their faces painted (by me) and they looked fantastic. Eh, I was just a little proud.

And now, it's time for a nap. It was a great week and, hey, I would have done it for free...

But 50 bucks is nice too.



No comments:

Post a Comment